Turkey Bacon Sushi
Turkey Bacon Sushi
Seafood with a Bacon Twist
- 12 oz Package GODSHALL’S Turkey Bacon
- 2 Cups Sushi Rice (Sumeshi)
- 1 Packet Sushi Rice Seasoning or 1 Cup of Sushi Su (Seasoned Rice Vinegar)
- 6 Sheets of Nori (Dried Seaweed)
- 1 Medium Sized Carrot Cut into Long Strips Thin or Baby Carrots Quartered
- 1 Avocado Cut to Thin Strips
- 12 Crab Sticks (Kani Kama)
- 1 Package BBQ Eel (unadon)
- Unagi sauce
- Wash rice to remove starchy layer which will look like a creamy cloud in the water.
- Transfer the rice to a steam cooker and add 2 cups of water. Close lid and cook.
- While Rice cooks, remove crab stix and bbq eel from packages and place on cutting board
- Cut eel and crab stix into long thin strips and set aside
- Cut carrot and avocado into lengthwise strips and set aside
- When rice is cooked season and fold until well mixed. Allow to cool.
- Toast seaweed sheets for no more than 2 minutes.
- On a cutting surface, lay out bamboo sushi rolling mat. (if you cannot find one, you can use a sheet of plastic wrap, but the sushi will not turn out as well)
- Place seaweed sheet on rolling mat, and , using a spoon or sushi paddle soaked in water, spread rice into a thin layer over entire seaweed sheet. Its often handy to keep a small bowl of cool water off to the side to keep spoon or paddle from clotting up with rice.
- Place half strips of cooked bacon on bottom half of rice covered seaweed sheet, 3/4 of an inch from bottom edge.
- Place crab sticks or eel and carrot or avocado next to crab or eel.
- Begin rolling with both hands supporting the sheet, up from the bottom.
- When roll has completed its first full rotation, bring mat up and continue to roll with bamboo mat.
- Using your entire hand, tighten and compress the roll in the bamboo mat.
- When the roll is fully rolled and just tight enough to starin contents at both ends, place in refrigerator or freeze for 15 minutes.
- With an extremely sharp knife, cut seaweed into sections under 1″ thick. If knife begins to stick, rinse with cold water
- Serve with Unagi on eel and soy on Crab, with wasabi paste on the side.